Xelect Ltd, the leading UK aquaculture genetics service company, is seeking to appoint a highly motivated candidate for a permanent position on its scientific staff. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing laboratory procedures in accordance to routine protocols and standard operating procedures. Applicants will be expected to work accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment and adhere to deadlines whilst maintaining strict quality standards.
The company operates an internal training programme and offers a pleasant, stimulating and varied working environment with the benefits of a competitive salary and a pension scheme.
Applicants should supply a cover letter, CV and the names and contact details of three referees.
· Hold a BSc in a relevant biological science, a PhD in molecular biology or genetics and at least 2 years practical experience in an academic or commercial lab setting.
· Strong expertise and knowledge in a range of molecular techniques e.g. DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, SNP genotyping, NGS library construction and sequencing.
· The ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines with large volumes of samples and large datasets is of critical importance.
· Ability to adhere to documented laboratory and data management workflows.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Proven attention to detail.
· Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills.
· Practical knowledge and expertise with core IT packages such as Microsoft Office.
· Practical experience with customised DNA library construction for Illumina platforms.
· Experience in aquaculture or population genetics.
· Experience in R and Linux environments.
· Experience in bioinformatics.
Minimum 2 years Molecular Biology
To apply please send a current CV and a covering letter, along with contact details of three referees. References will only be contacted after a successful interview. Closing date 10/04/2021.