Xelect Ltd, the leading UK aquaculture genetics service company is seeking to appoint a highly motivated candidate for a permanent position on its scientific staff. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing various informatic procedures in support of the genetic management of aquaculture breeding programmes. Applicants will be expected to work accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced and continuously evolving environment and adhere to deadlines whilst maintaining strict quality standards. The company operates an internal training programme and offers a pleasant, stimulating and varied working environment with the benefits of a competitive salary and a pension scheme. Applicants should supply a cover letter, CV and the names and contact details of three referees.
Background and qualifications:
· MSc degree or PhD covering in Bioinformatics, Quantitative Genetics, or related field
· Previous demonstrable experience of analysing next-generation sequencing data.
· Experience in scientific programming, in particular R and/or python.
· Experience in using Linux command line interface (CLI)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to communicate complicated topics with bioinformaticians, laboratory personnel, geneticists and management
· Experience / knowledge of quantitative genetic theory (e.g. the use of linear models for the prediction of breeding values).
· Write high quality code managed by version control and automated tests, experience developing/ managing R packages.
· Knowledge of Database Development/Management (MySQL, MariaDB)
· Experience with version control systems e.g. Bitbucket
· Experience of aquaculture breeding systems
Application deadline: 06/08/2021
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £32,000.00-£42,000.00 per year