We’re delighted to announce a couple of new vacancies in our expanding Breeding Programmes team. Please share with anyone that you think is looking for a great role in a rapidly growing company.
You can apply online here.
Xelect Ltd is seeking to appoint two dynamic breeding programme managers to be based at our headquarters in St. Andrews in Scotland. Xelect is at the forefront of genetic services to the aquaculture industry worldwide serving 54 customers in 19 countries. We offer complete genetics support to breeding programmes for multiple species of fish and shellfish. Our service includes genotyping, genetic calculations and practical support in client’s hatcheries. The people appointed would be working directly with and supervised by our Senior Breeding Programme Managers and would be expected work together with the rest of the Xelect team of managers, quantitative geneticists, bioinformaticians and molecular biologists. This exciting role would be ideal for somebody with a keen interest in aquaculture breeding, genetics and reproduction looking to develop their knowledge and expertise in this rapidly advancing field.
Duties would primarily involve liaison with our clients to review, plan and manage the contracted breeding programmes. This will involve regular overseas travel. The position would require a comprehensive understanding of the laboratory processes involved including SNP genotyping as well as conduct of the post-laboratory processing and statistical analysis and subsequent compiling of reports and presentations. The successful candidates would be expected to have excellent organisational and time management abilities, be effective within a team and hold outstanding interpersonal skills.
· A minimum of a M.Sc. relating to aquaculture, quantitative genetics, fish reproduction or animal breeding.
· Knowledge and experience of hatchery and broodstock systems for finfish and / or shellfish species.
· Experience working with aquaculture industry.
· Excellent data management and computer literacy skills.
· Willing to travel and experience working within other countries.
· Laboratory skills in molecular biology including DNA extraction and qPCR techniques.
· Basic knowledge of programming platforms including R and Linux.
· PhD. relating to aquaculture, fish reproduction or animal breeding.
· Proficiency of programming platforms R and / or Linux.
· SNP genotyping techniques.
· Ability to converse in another language would be a distinct advantage.
· Peer reviewed publications in the field of aquaculture, reproduction or genetics.
Further details about the position and the company are available upon request. To apply please send a current CV and a covering letter, along with contact details of two referees. Closing date Friday 17th April.
Reference ID: BPM 2020
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £30,000.00 to £43,000.00 /year
Xelect welcomes new talent in the lab
COVID-19 and the ‘new normal’
Genetics in a nutshell
Seafood Source interview: Now Xelect is making advanced genetic services available to the many, not just the few
Coping with COVID-19